You’ve made the decision to join your chamber of commerce.
Congratulations! You’ve taken a huge step in growing your business.
At Momentum, our entire business model revolves around helping companies make the most of their chamber of commerce and business association memberships, so we’re thrilled for you.
In fact, we’re so thrilled, we’ve put together some quick tips for you on how to start taking advantage of your new membership – right away!
Hope these help (we know they will!!!)…
(1) Your Chamber of Commerce Membership is a Subscription
First and foremost… You paid for a membership, so use it. Immediately. Don’t wait weeks or months to get started. Dive in, because 12 months goes quickly, and we want you to get the most out of it by the time your renewal comes up.
(2) Meet w/ the Chamber Team and Tell Them Why You Joined
To get the most out of your membership, this is the most imperative step… The chamber team needs to know you exist, and have in the back of their minds throughout the year what you’re looking to accomplish through them. Your conversation should focus on answering these questions for them:
- Why did you join? What are you looking to accomplish?
- What are your business growth goals? Where are you headed?
- Who can I introduce you to?
- What’s your niche? What’s your story?
- What buzzwords should I listen for to make me tell someone they should talk to you?
(3) Get to An Event
The most powerful service a chamber provides is bringing together people so they can do business together. Get an event on your calendar right away, but also:
- Choose an event that has a good chance of putting the people you need to meet in the room
- Let your main chamber contact know when you register that you’ll be attending
- The morning of the event, post to your primary social media platform that you’re looking forward to attending and tag the chamber
- At the event, make contact with the chamber staff – they will begin to introduce you to relevant people (especially if you’ve already done step #2 above)
(4) Whitelist Chamber of Commerce E-mails
One of the biggest challenges for chambers and chamber members is that chamber newsletters go into spam, so you don’t know when upcoming events are. Here’s how to whitelist your new chamber’s e-mails, so they get through:
(5) Joining a Chamber of Commerce is About Growing Your Business
Finally, it’s important to solidify your mindset about being a part of a chamber… While chambers do many great things in growing the community, YOU’RE there to grow your business. Make your chamber involvement a key component of your growth strategy, and focus your participation in events, your interactions with the staff and the relationships you pursue through the chamber on growing your business. The average chamber membership is between $250 and $500. It should be a piece-of-cake to recoup that investment in 12 months, with a growth approach.
Want to take all of this to the next level? Momentum is your advocate with your chambers of commerce, working every day to make sure you’re getting ROI on your membership (we’re guessing no one else is doing that for you). Schedule a 15-minute Zoom with us and let’s talk!